Warning: Stong Opinion Ahead.
We live in an extremely diverse country. 11 Official languages and many many more unofficial. Yet we expect everyone to speak our language and understand our culture? We continuously compare ourselves to countries like China, France, Germany where the children can speak the language of the land; forgetting that we don't have a single language of the land.
Personally I get upset when the president is delivering his state of the nation and switches to Zulu, seemingly without any regard for the rest of his fellow citizens.
I constantly ask myself whether there is a country, anywhere in the world, that is diverse -culturally and linguistically, as ours? Looking at the size our country and our population I think you would be hard pressed to find an example.
All this fuss around language leaves one wondering where we would be linguistically, had the policies of the former regime not forced a single language down the throats of the silent majority.
I can understand and to some extent speak all of the sotho family languages(Sepedi, Setswana, Sesotho, Khelobedu, Sepulana and Setlokwa to name a few), but you expect me to understand and speak isiZulu, Xhosa, Swathi, Ndebele etc etc.
Are not expecting too much of ourselves and our fellow country men? In a country as diverse as South Africa the least we can do is find a common language that we can all converse in.
If we take a country like India for example, a country rich in diversity similar to South Africa just on a larger scale, Hindi is the common language.
If we all just swallowed our pride for minute, and all acted as South Africans and not Pedi's, Zulu's, Xhosa's and Afrikaners or what have you. We can turn this around. Until then, mind your language
That is all.
p.s I'm of the belief that we need to have one official language. Save money, save paper, save time and foster togetherness :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment